I Will Not Sing Alone is a deliberately eclectic collection of words and music from different ages fused in contemporary arrangements.
There are ancient texts and modern texts, simple and sophisticated. There are choral anthems, folk tunes and contemporary syncopated melodies. The songs include exclamations of praise, meditative reflections on the love of God, and laments for the loss of a child and for countries at war.
The people who make the music are an even odder mixture. There are three cathedral musicians, several folk singers, some members of our previous Wild Goose Worship Group, a trainee Catholic priest, members of a ceilidh band, a descendant of a 14th century bishop, a Malayalam speaker, a native Swede, a Blue Peter badge winner – representing both genders, five nations, seven denominations and a variety of hairstylists and coutouriers.
Perhaps this is the only way to offer songs of faith which are intended for everybody. This is not a high octane choral album or a selection of psuedo-celtic escapist ditties, but songs of engagement with life and with God, all grounded in the passion and pain of Christian love.
The Wild Goose Collective comprises members and associates of the Wild Goose Resource Group, former musicians of lona Abbey and ‘discerning friends of our common purpose’. They coagulate here for the first time to record this collection.
The Macappella Ceilidh Band is based in Glasgow and is in constant demand for events and ceilidhs throughout Scotland. It has close connections with both the lona Community and Gorbals Parish Church in Glasgow.
- The Lord is my light – Wild Goose Collective
- How can I keep from singing? – Macappella
- The treasure – Macappella
- Were I the perfect child – Macappella
- I will give what I have – Wild Goose Collective
- I will sing a song of love – Wild Goose Collective
- He is the Way – Wild Goose Collective
- Jesus Christ here among us – Wild Goose Collective
- A cradling song – Wild Goose Collective
- In this darkness – Wild Goose Collective
- If the war goes on – Macappella
- I heard the voice of Jesus say – Macappella
- Hey my love – Wild Goose Collective
- I am the Vine – Wild Goose Collective
- O Jesus, sweet the thought of you – Wild Goose Collective
- Mothering God – Wild Goose Collective
- The mind of God – Wild Goose Collective
THE WILD GOOSE COLLECTIVE 1st incarnation
Alison Adam, Michael Bannister, John L. Bell, Neil Glover, Phil Jakob, Helen Killick, Julie McCann, Graham Maule, Andy Moss, Mairi Munro, Sally-Anne Porter, Christine Reid, Victoria Rudebark, Fiona Squires, Craig Stevenson, Carol Whyte, Neil Young, with Suzanne Adam (fiddle), Stuart Muir (organ & keyboards) and Ewan Vernal (bass).
MACAPPELLA CEILIDH BAND
Christine Carson (vocals, accordion & piano), Ian Galloway (vocals & guitar), Julie Galloway (vocals & accordion), Neil Squires (vocals & fiddle), Wilf Taylor (percussion), Kate Kramer (vocals, viola & fiddle).